Apple Pie Spice Rolls
Makes approximately 16 rolls.
- 4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 large egg
- cooking spray
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp King Arthur apple pie spice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk as needed for desired consistency
- In a large bowl, stir 2 cups of the flour, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, the salt and yeast with a wooden spoon until well mixed.
- In a small pan, heat the milk over medium heat until very warm and an instant-read thermometer reads 120°F to 130°F.
- Add the warm milk, 1/4 cup butter and egg to the flour mixture.
- Mix in an electric mixer on low-speed 1 minute, until flour mixture is moistened. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, stopping frequently to scrape bowl. With a spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour until dough is soft, leaves side of bowl and is easy to handle.
- Sprinkle flour lightly on a countertop and place dough on floured surface. Knead the dough. Continue kneading about 5 minutes, sprinkling surface with more flour if needed.
- Spray a large bowl with the cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place about 1 hour minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 sugar and the cinnamon; set aside. Spray the bottom and sides of a 13×9-inch pan with the cooking spray.
- Sprinkle flour lightly on a countertop. Deflate the dough by pushing your fist down into the dough and place on floured surface.
- Using your hands or a rolling-pin, flatten dough into a 12×8-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges. Sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Beginning at a 12-inch side, roll dough up tightly. Pinch edge of dough into the roll to seal edge.
- Using a length of dental floss, cut roll into 15 (1-inch) slices. Place slices slightly apart in the pan. Cover pan loosely with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place about 30 minutes or until dough has doubled in size. Remove plastic wrap.
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove rolls from pan; place right side up on a cooling rack. Cool 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth, adding enough milk so glaze is thin enough to drizzle. Over the warm rolls, drizzle glaze. Serve warm.