Super Chocolatey Goodness.
It is Week 3 in the KAF Bake the Bag series: Whole Grain Brownies.
The brownies are fudgy, cake-like and moist. If you love chocolate, this is your treat.
Even with the wheat flour I found those super decadent and it’s not a complaint!
I also used mini chocolate chips versus the standard size chips for my preference. I tend to use the mini’s in place of the regular ones in many recipes.
I loved eating this with vanilla ice cream after warming up a piece. It’s the perfect combo.
As a later thought, I ended up making a peanut butter frosting to balance the rich chocolate taste.
Makes about 2 dozen, 2-inch brownies.
- 16 tablespoons (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, organic preferred
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan; line the pan with parchment paper if desired.
- In a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Return the mixture to the heat briefly just till it’s hot but not bubbling.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder and vanilla.
- Add the eggs, stirring till smooth.
- Then add the flour and chips, again stirring till smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 30 minutes, until a cake tester or sharp knife poked into the center reveals wet crumbs, but not raw batter.
- Remove them from the oven, and cool completely on a rack.