Cooking or Baking, I do love trying and testing new recipes. I try to pick recipes that appeal to me and also has an element that is unfamiliar or different from my go to recipes.
One of my favorite cooking blogs/store/source is running a baking challenge! WOOT!
I eagerly signed up for King Arthur Flour’s Bake the Bag. It is 9 weeks of baking through 1 bag of flour. White Whole Wheat Flour, that is.
This weekend I completed Week 1 in the series: Whole Grain Banana Bread.
It came together so easy and was perfect out of the pan. It’s absolutely delicious for using the wheat flour.
My go to recipe is by the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) but I may have a new favorite now! I will definitely be baking this again.
Makes 1 loaf.
- 2 cups thoroughly mashed banana; about 4 or 5 medium bananas
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the center position. Lightly spray a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the mashed banana, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon into the banana mixture. Thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake the bread for about 60 to 75 minutes, until the bread feels set on the top, and a knife, baking tester or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs . If you have a digital thermometer, the bread’s temperature at the center should register about 205°F.
- Remove the bread from the oven. Cool it in the pan for 15 minutes, then loosen the edges, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely.
Store leftover bread, tightly wrapped, at room temperature for several days. Freeze for longer storage.
Here is a link to the original recipe: KAF Whole Grain Banana Bread Recipe that has lots of baking tips to help make it perfect!
I can’t wait to find out what next week’s recipe brings!