Now with the ice cream recipe complete, it is time for the next step in my ice cream, frozen yogurt and sorbet maker project. Frozen yogurt…MMMMmmmm.
I frequent Red Mango and TCBY often enough to know what I like in a frozen yogurt. At Red Mango, my favorite flavors are Nutella, Coconut and Mango. TCBY changes their flavors a lot more and I haven’t yet determined which one is my favorite there.
For my home version, this recipe uses 4 ingredients and is super easy.
For this project, I went with whatever was in my fridge at the time which was fresh strawberries and a mix of peach and vanilla yogurt. I have to say that the results were absolutely delicious. The flavors so great together and I am already dreaming up other combos of fruits for the next attempt at frozen yogurt.
- 3 cups of fresh strawberries (stems removed)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 cups of yogurt (I used equal parts of peach and vanilla)
- Place strawberries, sugar and lime juice in a medium bowl. Stir to blend. Cover and allow to macerate for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Place the strawberry mixture in a food processor and blend for 15–20 seconds to purée.
- Combine the strawberry purée with the yogurt. Stir in until smooth.
- Follow the instructions for your frozen treat maker.
For my Cuisinart machine it was the following: Freeze the bowl for 24 hours before using. Turn the machine on and pour the mixture into freezer bowl and let mix until thicken, about 25 minutes. The yogurt will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the yogurt to an airtight container and place in freezer for about two hours. Remove from freezer about 10 minutes before serving.
This is the machine I used: Ice Cream Maker.