I decided to try out a meatless recipe for Meatless Monday this week. I love lasagna but it’s not real great for me with acid reflux issues so I set out to find something without the red sauce. I really enjoyed this version of the recipe I found on the net, compiled of like 4 different recipes. Like all my recipes I use whatever I can find in my fridge which is why there are things like red onions and vampire slayer cheddar cheese. I will also add that I used 2 bunches of fresh spinach and cooked it down, cooled and then squeezed out the liquid as I didn’t have the frozen spinach. I got home around 6 started prepping and cooking and I sat down to eat at 7:30-7:40. This was mainly because I did not prep as I usually do. If I didn’t have to deal with the squashor fresh spinach and prepped it the day before this would of shaved off maybe 30-40 minutes of time. It just takes 40 mins to cook and the recipe is definitely a keeper. Each roll is under 300 calories but you can enter the ingredients into my fitness pal or another app based on your ingredients. The cheddar upped the calorie count a lil bit and Parmesan would be somewhat less. Anyway, try it and see what you think… Make it your own!
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red or white onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh grated cheese
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, heated and squeezed well
- 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (Parmesan or cheddar) I used a cheddar called Vampire Slayer.
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
- 3 oz part skim shredded cheese , I chose the Italian mix
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add butternut squash and cook until soft.
- Remove squash, reserve about 1 cup of the water and set aside.
- Add squash to food processor and blend until smooth. Alternately you can use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. (I don’t have one) Add about 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid to thin out.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the oil, sauté the onions and garlic over medium-low heat until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add pureed butternut squash, season with with salt and pepper. Add a little of the reserved water to thin mixture if needed.
- Stir in 2 1/2 tablespoons of the cheese and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Ladle about 1/2 cup butternut sauce sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, 1/2 cup vampire slayer cheddar cheese, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place a silpat/dish towel on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Ladle about 1 cup of sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp cheese. Cover with foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes.