I am always looking for the lighter version of my favorites that are healthier and taste just as good. I have finally found that here and its the easiest recipe taking minimal time. I don’t even miss the fried and breaded eggplant and feel just a satisfied. This is definitely going on the books as a favorite!
Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 eggplant (2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup homemade or quality store-bought marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in upper oven and lower part of the oven. Arrange eggplant on one or two rimmed baking sheets. Brush eggplant on both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning slices and rotating sheets halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: Off heat, in a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup milk, flour, and garlic. Gradually whisk in remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup marinara sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until pink sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Alternate layers of baked eggplant with pink sauce. Dollop with remaining 1/4 cup marinara sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake on upper rack until browned and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.