It’s National Sugar Cookie day today, July 9th.
Well at least some people think so. I’ve checked all around the net and found lots of posts about Sugar Cookie day. Everyone loves cookies, young and old alike. It just seems to bring a smile to a face, upon presenting them.
To celebrate this day, I have included links below to my favorite Sugar Cookie variations, including a gluten-free recipe I like.
To learn more about this day you can visit the following links:
My top 3 recipes I bake up are listed below. The photos beneath use all three of the following recipes.
My favorite of all sugar cookie recipes is below:
Sugar Cookies (Makes about 2 dozen 4-inch cookies)
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Divide dough into quarters; flatten each quarter into a disk. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds. Let one disk of dough stand at room temperature just until soft enough to roll, about 10 minutes. Roll out dough between two pieces of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness. Remove top layer of plastic wrap. Cut out cookies with a 4-to-5-inch cookie cutter. Transfer cookie dough on plastic wrap to a baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to freezer, and freeze until very firm, about 15 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from freezer, and transfer shapes to baking sheets lined with non-stick baking mats. Roll out scraps, and repeat. Repeat with remaining disk of dough.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges turn golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
- After they have cooled decorate with Royal Icing.
More sugar recipes to check out:
- Gluten- Free Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Alton Brown’s Sugar Cookies
- Taste of Home Sugar Cookie recipes
- Allrecipes Easy Sugar Cookies
- Allrecipes Rolled Sugar Cookie Recipe
- King Arthur Flour Sugar Cookie Recipe
Want to spruce up your sugar cookie dough? Take the same dough and turn them into completely different cookies. Get the ideas here. Ten Ideas for Sugar Cookie Dough (from realsimple)