Cookies! Who can resist them. I know I can’t expecially when they are home baked.
On this haunting day of many sweets, there are always cookies-a-plenty. I use a few different recipes depending on the type of cookie I am baking. For rolled/cut out cookies I use a sugar cookie recipe, shortbread recipe and a royal icing recipe. Sometimes you want all that sugary goodness in a cookie. Other times you won’t. In that case I use a shortbread cookie to balance out the sugar from the royal icing.
Makes about 2 dozen 4-inch cookies
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Divide dough into quarters; flatten each quarter into a disk. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds. Let one disk of dough stand at room temperature just until soft enough to roll, about 10 minutes. Roll out dough between two pieces of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness. Remove top layer of plastic wrap. Cut out cookies with a 4-to-5-inch cookie cutter. Transfer cookie dough on plastic wrap to a baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to freezer, and freeze until very firm, about 15 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from freezer, and transfer shapes to baking sheets lined with nonstick baking mats. Roll out scraps, and repeat. Repeat with remaining disk of dough.
- Bake, switching positions of sheets and rotating halfway through, until edges turn golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
- After they have cooled decorate with Royal Icing.
I love using one of the cookie recipe by Martha Stewart. Read more at Marthastewart.com: Sugar Cookie Cutouts – Martha Stewart Recipes