Sugar cookies, everyone’s favorite no matter what the theme. These cookies were made as a treat for my work mates for Valentine’s day.
Makes 2 dozen. Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.com
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Royal Icing optional
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar; add dry ingredients, and mix until incorporated. With mixer running, add egg, milk, and vanilla; mix until incorporated.
- Transfer dough to a work surface. Shape into 2 discs, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with nonstick baking mats,parchment paper or silpat; set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into heart shapes, and transfer to prepared baking sheets, leaving an inch in between. Continue to roll leftover dough.
- After rolling all of the dough, chill the baking pan with cookies for 15 minutes.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 10 minutes; do not allow to brown.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Decorate with Royal Icing, optional.